Sat, Feb 10|
Dog Sports Unlimited
February 10-11 Fun Runs
Not every dog that sprints down our track is running for AKC titles. Some of our favorite dogs just come out for the fun of it. Where else can they take off at full speed for the length of a football field and not get yelled at by their owner?! It's great exercise for your dog and great fun for you!
Time & Location
Feb 10, 2024, 7:00 PM – Feb 11, 2024, 2:00 PM
Dog Sports Unlimited, 875 Tater Rd, New Smyrna Beach, FL 32168, USA
About the Event
What is a Fun Run?
Fun runs are what we call it when a dog is running on our Fast CAT track but not entered in the AKC Fast CAT trial that is going on. Any dog that is in good health can participate. However, females in heat are not allowed to run on the track. It's just too distracting to the boys!
A Fun Run is conducted just like an official run. The only difference is you won't get a ribbon like the one handed out to dogs making official runs. The same Fast CAT rules apply for Fun Runs. We do things primarily for the safety of the dogs and their owners but we'll help you step by step in the process. We enjoy seeing the dogs run successfully so we want everyone to have a good experience. Plus, the rules aren't too hard to follow. Below are some of the basic guidelines for dogs and their owners when they come out to our Fast CAT events.
- All dogs must be on a leash except for when running.
- Dogs are not permitted to run while wearing harnesses, prong collars, choke chains, or Martin-gale collars.
- No person is allowed on the field without the permission of the lure operator.
- Be considerate and pick up all dog waste and dispose of it properly.
- Each dog entered must be physically fit enough to run and have no known medical condition that would be adversely affected by participating in the event.
- An electronic, continuous loop machine will be used to pull plastic strips or a squawker.
- The track will be fenced.
- Light curtain gates will be used for timing.
- In the event of rain, hand held timers may be used in place of light curtains.
- The Field Trial Committee reserves the right to prohibit any dog and/or handler from the site.
- Unsportsmanlike conduct is grounds for being excused from the field.
- After entering the track, hand your run ticket to the huntmaster.
- Make sure you and your dog are not standing on the lure line.
- Did I mention not to step on the line?
- Position your dog so that its paws are on the start line or slightly in front of it.
- Make sure you have a good grip on your dog's collar and unlatch the leash.
- Let the huntmaster know that your dog is in position and ready to run.
- Release your dog when the lure starts to move.
- The huntmaster will fill in the run time and hand the run slip back to you.
- Exit the track.
That's how it should work if everything goes just the way it's supposed to. Of course, the dogs aren't familair with the rules so they need some extra guidance on occassions. Sometimes the lure operator might need to entice the dog a little extra to get them to chase the lure. Not all dogs take to chasing a lure right away. Some require more encouragement than others. Unfortunately, not all dogs will go after the lure but we'll do everything we can to get them to give chase.
Fast CAT is a two person operation. You need one person to catch and one person to release. If you are all by yourself, let us know when you check in. If we have an available volunteer, we can help you out. We don't always have extra people so please try to have a buddy but we will help if able.
FUN RUN TIMES
This weekend's events consist of day and night events. Fun Run times have been changed accordingly.
Because the Fun Runs are held at the same time as an AKC event and because of the considerable number of dogs that will be running at these events, we will only be doing Fun Runs between 7 PM and 9 PM on Saturday and on Sunday from 12 PM - 2 PM. Waiting until later in the events usually allows us to get all the official runs through early and not be too rushed with the Fun Runs. If you're new to the sport and not sure how your dog will perform, Fun Runs are a good way to find out.
You can also check out our Fast CAT Camps that we offer at our New Smyrna Beach facility.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact us.
Hope to see you at the track!
- Ticket type
Single Fun Run entry 875 Tater Rd, New Smyrna Beach February 10-11, 2024 Saturday Run times between 7 PM - 9 PM Sunday Run Times between 12 PM - 2 PMPrice$10.00Sale ended